Thursday, October 25, 2007

One more!


One more ghoulish bit before the 31st! This time after John Singer Sargent's Lord Ribblesdale. I know my work doesnt show much of it, but tons of history's greatest painters have always been an influence to me. The most considerable being; Michelangelo of course, Caravaggio, I loved Pontormo's figure studies, Rubens, Boucher, Ingres,Watteau, for their draftsmanship (animators much check out their drawings!), Delacroix ( over his contemporary David, although I shouldn't have to pit them against each other!), Velazquez (Las Meninas!), Sargent's exhibition here in Seattle, when I was a student,blew me away, Matisse, Picasso for his bravery, versatility, & creativity. So so many more that escape me right now.
An ex co-worker and I liked to go back and forth between who was a better draftsman, Rubens or Sargent. Hey man! Sargents amazing, but Rubens was a beast!

On a semi-related note, I've really enjoyed looking at artists' posting step-by-step processes lately. Always fascinating stuff. My favorites are always when the intial sketches are flurries of lines, ideas, energy, mistakes ; I dig the rough stuff.
I usually am pretty haphazard, and do a lot of wandering off. But on a focused day, this is what it comes down to. Nothin special really, although I have to say, I often spend for-ever noodling with colors. Thats the hardest part .**Also, my first meeting with Stephen Gregory for the tutorship is Nov 5th!

And check it out! ABC News did a feature on THE Sartorialist!

No comments:

Post a Comment